Thread: Chain noise?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #33
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by key_lime View Post
Hi Boxstard,

The issue you describe sounds very similar to a noise I’m experiencing. I also have a 1997 2.5L.

Every time I ‘feather’ the throttle, either gradually on or off, I hear a distinct ‘chatter’. Full throttle / No throttle and the noise disappears. Most of the time I hear it when attempting to maintain a steady speed when cruising, but it's amplified at high RPM's when easing off the throttle after a hard acceleration (when joining a motorway for example).

Interestingly, unlike you - I can replicate the noise with the clutch fully depressed and the car stationary, by carefully holding the revs around 2,500 RPM and slowly feathering in a little more gas. Are you sure you can’t achieve this ?

I’ve just had my front engine mount changed (for unrelated reasons) which made no difference to the noise.

Did you ever find a root cause?

Still chasing the root cause... and I could not reproduce the noise with the car parked, clutch in or out, no matter how I tried with gentle throttle around the ‘sweet spot’ of 2,400 rpm.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote