View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

Track Pads Questions

I've been researching pads for my '02 base Boxster, and have some questions for those of you who track your cars. I do three or four track days per year, usually at SCCA Track Night in America events, because they are cheap (but you never know what the other drivers will be like; it's the wild, wild west at those events). That means 60 minutes of track time per event.

I currently run EBC Yellows, which I've come to find are unsuitable pads, as once they get hot, you get a terrible shuddering at all the wheels. It's my experience that they don't fade, because you can't brake hard enough to really test them without the car shaking so badly that it's very worrisome.

I would consider myself an advanced driver, since I have lots of years of racing experience. In a normal track day, the only cars that pass me in the advanced group are much faster cars (Mustang Cobra GT350s, turbo'ed Miata's, later model 911s, those damned WRX's) that usually are using R-compound tires. For the upcoming year I've acquired another set of wheels that I'll be running Hankook RS4's on. My aim is to just have a good time and be able to give myself and the car a decent workout.

My car has a ROW M030 springs and shocks, with as aggressive an alignment as you can get with stock suspension components. I want the car to remain a pleasant street driver, with track duty not being it's primary mission.

From my research, I've narrowed my choices down to Pagid (Orange, Yellow, or Blacks), or Raybestos ST 43 or 41s. I'd like to use the PFC 08 pads, but they aren't available for base Boxster brakes. Since I'll probably also run the pads for street use, I want something that works okay at regular temps and isn't terribly noisy or dusty, but I know that with track pads, it's a real compromise.

From what I've read, the Hawk track compounds are very hard on rotors for street use, so that is why I'm not looking at those.

What say the 986Forum mind-hive? Which color Pagids do you find the best? Which Raybestos compound is favored? The Raybestos are less expensive, but there isn't a huge difference in price. If you have any other reasonable suggestions, I'd like to hear them!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote