View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
BoxMann

Would You Be Concerned If . . .

I'm pretty new here. Looking for an early (probably 2001 - 2004 S) Boxster. Have seen and test drove a few. Have also done a lot of reading up and I think I'm somewhat well aware of the common issues facing these cars.

I'm now seriously looking at a 2003 S with about 52k miles. The car has been pretty well maintained. However, the following items have not been addressed/replaced and I wonder -- if you were looking for a used Boxster, would these things concern you:

1 - Water pump
2 - Drive belt
3 - Coolant tank
4 - AOS
5 - MAF Sensor
6 - Ignition switch
7- Cam cover oil leak
8 - IMSB was replaced about 15 months ago (at 46k miles), but the clutch and RMS were not replaced at the time. (I was told that the Porsche dealer that did the IMSB said that the RMS was not leaking and the clutch is fine.)

Which of these should have been replaced preemptively, and which should only have been replaced if they failed (and therefore should not be viewed as a negative by me)?

Also, a Blackstone Oil Analysis was done about a year ago, after the IMSB was replaced, and it passed with flying colors. However, the analysis was done only about 100 miles after the oil was changed. Does that mean that the analysis doesn't carry a lot of weight? Is an oil analysis supposed to be done after the oil has been in the engine for a few thousand miles?

And I should also add that I fully intend on doing a PPI on it before going much further.

Last edited by BoxMann; 12-24-2018 at 06:45 AM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote