View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
There's a TSB out there and I don't think it's for the "flapper". Basically, the tube to the tank gets kinked so fuel doesn't flow as quickly to the tank as it should. If you fill too quickly the kink causes the gas to back up and shuts off the pump.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't recall related so it won't be fixed free of charge out of warranty.

Since I also have this problem, I've found that not inserting the nozzle as far in and holding it "up" seems to help. You still can't pump at full speed nor leave it pumping without your hand on the handle. Naturally, the "half in nozzle" approach won't work for some of you in California or others with vapor capturing nozzles....
Hi,

Yep, you nailed it. It's TSB 3/99 2015. Here's what it says:
  • Difficulty filling the fuel tank can occur if the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank obstruct the inner flap of the fuel filler neck.

And the fix:
  • Ensure the inner filler neck flap moves freely. Affix the two flexible
    hoses in the fuel tank exactly as shown in Figure 1, using two tiestraps.

The referred to flexible hoses display lateral movement which can obstruct the inner filler neck flap. By fixing them to the fuel sending unit stalk with Nylon Cable Ties, in a position where they don't obstruct the inner filler neck flap, you eliminate the issue.

Very easy DIY fix for well under $0.50 if you don't mind opening and working around the fuel tank. If so, disconnect the battery first and preferably with the tank as full as possible (realizing that this may be a challenge) to reduce the amount of fuel vapors present. Lots of ventillation and a helper with a Fire Extinguisher at hand is a good idea as well. I would estimate 30 min. repair, difficulty level 2. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS Ironic that a $50k Sports Car is grounded for want of a couple $0.02 Cable Ties...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-21-2006 at 05:15 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote