View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
BoxMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
When I bought my R1100S in South Carolina and rode it back to Texas in 2015, I purchased a Texas transit tag (because that was my destination state) for $25 at the Texas DMV online site. It had the VIN on the tag and the start and end date for the tag validity. I think it was good for a month, but I’m not sure. I printed and laminated it and put in on the bike when I started my trip.

During my research, I discovered that every state I checked had different regulations. The Texas DMV advised to have the tag mounted and to have the title and other executed documents with me during the trip. I didn’t encounter any difficulties but YMMV of course.
No reason to encounter difficulties if you have a temp transit tag. Actually, I thought you get the transit tag from the state you're departing from, not the destination state.

And you're quite correct that different states will have different rules and it behooves you to check those rules. I would NEVER drive without no plates and just a bill of sale and signed title in my hand.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote