View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
(iii) Arrange for the PPI first, and if it checks out well, fly down, pay the Seller and drive home?

And then there's the issue of tags, temp transit plates, etc
Option iii would be a good option. Obviously you'll have to be zeroed in on the particular car you want, as you don't want to be blowing all your budget on PPIs for every car you see.

My Wheeler Dealer activities are a bit different as I'm interested in later model, lower mileage Porsches. I don't do a PPI, I just fly in, buy it, and drive it home. But I do plenty of homework before leaving. I generally buy my cars from private party vs dealer. I feel I'll get more truthful info from a private party rather than a dealer. I ask about paintwork or accidents (among many other things), which isn't failsafe but so far I've been good. If a car has had multiple owners, they may not be aware of a previous accident. Carfaxes are useful but as we know are not perfect. I will also google the seller to see if he's real and "clean". Once I arrive to inspect a car, I'll look for paintwork. It's generally not hard to find, as there will be overspray and paint seams that will give it away. I'm always ready to leave if it doesn't check out, but so far I haven't had to fly home empty handed.

The only car I've purchased sight unseen was 2 yrs ago. It was an 01 911 cab that needed some interior work. I purchased it from a Mercedes dealership in MD. I wired the money to them and they eventually got it on a transporter. Took them several wks. Had multiple sleepless nights until they confirmed it was on its way. I felt somewhat safe doing this since it was a reputable dealership, but still not relieved until the car was unloaded at my house. It's definitely a leap of faith. I sold an 09 base Boxster to a forum member this summer where he bought it sight unseen. I took it for a PPI, he wired the money, and it was loaded on the truck. He never saw it in person until it got to his house. I FedEx'd the title to him the day he wired the money. Once again, a leap of faith, but he was happy with the purchase.

Different states have different rules on temp tags. Some issue them, some don't. I've driven lots of cars w/o tags across lots of states. I figure as long as I have a bill of sale, the title or a copy of it, and the phone # of the seller, I'll be fine. And I don't drive exceedingly fast to draw attn to myself. So far, haven't been pulled over.

Agree with P_Carfahrer that driving your purchase home is a great way to see the country and make a To-Do list as you go. Porsches are great long distance tourers. They eat up the miles. I was able to check West Virg off my list of states I've never been to on my last WD adventure.

Good luck.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote