View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #29
itsnotanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Thank you for this thread! I’ll be keeping up with this one!
Thanks and thanks to those in the past or future who are entertained by this build

So the AOS went out on the motor. There's a little trick that I've seen a race team do. They cap off the tube that goes into the intake and run a hose from the aos to a catch can in the trunk. The guy I got the idea off of says he doesn't even put the tube into a bottle but his dad does. These are spec guys and somewhat successful. I told another spec friend of mine about that and he said he tried that once. He said his bottle started filling up with oil and he believes you lose a little power. I'm cheap, so I'm going to try it and see what happens. I don't feel any power loss and my catch can has no oily residue. I'll see how i feel about it later but for right now I give the idea two thumbs up. Also in the picture below you can see I removed the secondary air injection and made my own plates out of scrap aluminum. I now have a 3.2 ROW tune too.

Now the big news. I had a friend send me a link to a local rally cross track not too far from my house. We've been joking about driving this boxster off-roading and he kind of sent me the link as a joke. Today I had some free time and was going to stop by two tracks so they could see/hear my car before I commit to any races. I stopped by the rally track first because the road course track wasn't open until 10. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, everyone came out and wanted to talk to me. They don't get too many people showing up in Porsches. They were very excited to see what it would do. I hung out all day until everyone was done racing and then let the owners take it out on the track. The car performed amazingly well! In fact, with the right tires it might have been the fastest car all day. That's not saying a whole lot but it's still pretty impressive. Most of the cars there were complete beaters. Mostly Subaru's but there was a STI and EVO there. After they were done having fun with it, I took it for a few laps myself. I couldn't believe how well the boxster rode in such rough terrain. I was expecting to get my filling rattled out of my teeth. It was quite the opposite. It handled bumps and ruts without a sweat. The boxster makes a great rally car! It worked so great that I've decided not to kill the car in six months. I'm keeping it and racing next year in the little race series they have here. Another bonus about racing in this series is that it's only $50 to race at a one day event they have once a month. Real hard to beat that anywhere else. Here's a video of it on the track and a video of it doing drifting donuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bTZCBbA2h4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-Ow75qo_g