View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #30
Homeoboxter

Garage
I was gonna stop with the teardown at this point, since i found the culprit for the engine failure and I thought after rebuilding the heads and the timing everything can go back on and the engine is ready to go. Yet, I thought it would be a mistake to reassemble the motor without knowing what the piston rings and rod bearings look like, especially because the valves were touching the pistons. So I decided to go more deeply into the engine if I got this far. First, I removed the IMS cover:

This is still the original dual-row bearing, the original grease has long been replaced to engine oil that`s flowing out from the IMS cavity. The bearing looks in great condition though.

Splitting the cases after removing a bucket of nuts and bolts:

Apart:

I think it was a good idea to remove the pistons: the rings are stuck into their grooves with gunk. Oil change wasn`t a too frequent practice here. I don`t think those rings were sealing too well..

This chain guide is badly worn too. Seems a bit undersized for this job. Note that the four other rails for the timing chains were in perfect condition.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote