View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Yes,..I ran a carfax,..everything came back fine...
My comment about checking the VIN, was not to get a CARFAX history, but just to verify the build and options since the sticker is missing.
CARFAX is not really of much use unless everything done to the car has been fully logged and reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
... bear in mind that a CARFAX or similiar report may not show any or all repairs if they were kept off of the books. Also, a PrePurchaseInspection (PPI) might uncover repairs - or - the car might be great with a perfectly good reason why it doesn’t have the sticker.

A professional would need to do a hands on inspection to give you an informed opinion.
The best advice on how to proceed is as Oldcarguy said, get a detailed Pre-Purchase Inspection from a reputable shop that knows Porsches.
I have bought a lot of depreciated Boxsters, repaired all of the common problems and a few uncommon ones. I know that I will still miss things that a professional (not caught up in the emotion of a buy) will find.
Find a good shop local to the car, or ask here on the forum for a recommendation. Have it looked at in detail by someone who is being paid by you to find problems. Talk with the person that did the inspection. Then decide what it's worth to you.

Last edited by 78F350; 12-06-2018 at 07:38 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote