View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
... it might have seen a hail storm had a bunch of minor dings/dents and as we know that is a complete paint job //,..plus no production sticker bugs me..Frank
I bought this 2004 S/SE, unseen, no PPI, and not sure if it would be repairable:

...and I'd be a little concerned about the one you are looking at.

For a 'Special Edition' car, original paint and condition is important. Otherwise, why not just buy any nice '03-'04 to do some SE mods on and repaint.
  • Minor hail dents that can be fixed by a good PDR guy? Great. Every panel dented and paint compromised? It's not so Special any more.
  • Needing a clutch? That's maintenance. No big deal, get a good IMS bearing upgrade while you're in there.
  • 'No sticker' is a concern, but shouldn't be a deal breaker. The sticker doesn't just fall off. It was likely repainted, or the frunk lid replaced. I'd want to know why or at least have a VERY good look at the whole front end with the bumper and frunk carpet removed. Can you verify the VIN?
  • I looked up the build sheet on mine using the VIN:

For the right price, even with flaws, it could be a great car. It depends on what you are really looking for. For me it was about bringing a car back from the brink. I had resources and just enough experience - with the help of the forum. I know not everyone is into that. Most people just want to drive a nice car.

If you want a 04 S SE, and have a few hundred $ to gamble, get a good PPI from someone who knows these cars. Without a good independent, detailed inspection, $15k would be too much risk IMHO.