View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude Guy View Post
Did you buy the one from North Carolina? Silver one? I was looking at that one but his asking price of $8000 was way too high.

Are you sure it is easy to swap from auto to manual trans?

Also, if you need a 2004 3.6L engine with 35K miles, let me know. I have one available.
Yup thats the one! He was negotiable on the price and the car is in very nice condition. If I can put a V8 in a Boxster swapping a auto to manual transmission is no problem. All it takes is parts. Cars were designed for both so just need things like clutch pedal assembly, hydraulics & lines, shifter, not sure if you have to swap the whole center console or just the shifter insert... Instrument cluster, obviously clutch, flywheel etc., then you just re-route a few coolant hoses. I don't think you need to swap the engine ECU although I haven't fully researched it.

Send me a PM on the engine you have and how much you are asking. My plan is to rebuild what is in there as from what I can tell other the the IMS bearing completely shredding itself I think the motor is OK. ECU showed no codes at all for misfires or anything. What I think happened is that this is one of those IMS bearings that never made any noise, just ripped itself apart until the nut/bolt on the back of the bearing broke off, dropped into the bell housing and hit the torque converter, which I believe is the "noise" the guy hear when he shut it off. Of course at that point the bearing had just come apart and started pissing oil all over which earned it a tow to the mechanic who basically threw the worst case scenario at the guy which immediately scared him. I doesn't even look like they took the filter off before they deemed it dead.

You never know though, it may be completely trashed in there. Luckily I know a guy who can rebuild these if needed, he is going to be at our shop tomorrow so i'll let him know what I found and see what he says. Still gotta get the motor out first but other project have been more pressing. Once my master bathroom is done then i'll be full tilt on the 911!
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote