View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Rob175

Difficulty with ignition key slot

Recently I began experiencing 2 slight problems with my 1998 Boxster's ignition key slot:

1. I always keep the car's radio turned "on" so when I start up the car the radio plays instantly....and upon turning the ignition off, AND pulling out the key, the radio would turn off within 2 or 3 seconds. However, recently something changed and when I turn the car off and pull the key, the radio stays on longer (5-15 seconds) before turning off.

2. Also, recently I've experienced some occasional difficulty inserting the ignition key into the cylinder. When it happens I can't even get it in past the very tip of the key. This has only happened a few times and only recently. Eventually after some fiddling around it eventually slides in, but my "fiddling" is just that, I'm really not doing anything specific, just a little LIGHT pushing and wiggling.

I've tried spraying special lock lubricant, but to be honest, it hasn't really helped. I know there's a little "door" or "cover" that covers the key slot and sometimes it closes but most of the time it doesn't close and the slot is exposed. But it's been that way for a number of years.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Last edited by Rob175; 11-30-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote