View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
So, just how "tunable" are our ECU's? Back in the day, it was as simple as programming an EPROM and slapping it into the Motronic ECU. It seems the easiest bang for the buck HP performance upgrade is doing the 3.6 Nickies, but wouldn't that require a new fueling map, or would the ECU "learn" the setup? I've seen the various programming tools for the newer engines, but haven't seen much for our cars and our electronics.
My own 2003 S engine is going to be rebuilt as a 3.6 with LN Nickies whenever the case eventually comes back from LN. My shop tells me the thing that takes the most time is the plater they use. Once the case is bored out and the sleeves are inserted, they need to be plated and then go back to LN to go through a final precision finish/polish. The plater takes a long time. My shop says the ECU can be tuned. They will install an off the shelf tune in my car's ECU, and then we'll go from there. They have a dyno and my tune can be further tweaked and customized if necessary. In addition to the 3.6 Nickies, my car will also have a 987 airbox and Fabspeed headers with catalysts. For now the intake plenum and throttle body will remain stock, I'm not sure if the 987 MAF or 986 MAF is going to be used. I know a lot of folks have gone to a bigger intake plenum and throttle body - my shop has said they've not seen improvements on their dyno with those modifications, so I'm going to stick with the original plenum and throttle body for now.

When it comes to the engine and major stuff, I am not a do-it-yourself guy - I draw the line for DIY at brake pads and rotors, radiator cleaning, short shifter installation, rear speaker kit installation, OBC stalk installation. I did the ignition switch once and when it failed the second time because I used one I bought at NAPA in a pinch that was made in China from lower quality plastic, I had my shop upgrade it to the 987 lock and switch.

So I'm going with the recommendations from my shop on the engine because I'm have to rely on them to make it work.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote