Thread: Chain noise?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
When I replaced motor and transmission mounts, found that I experienced a couple of new types of sounds: 1) tighter motor/chasis meant more vibration transmitted to interior of car, making existing engine sounds more pronounced. 2) New sounds from things inside the cockpit vibrating more - at around the 2,500 rpm mark, under certain conditions I heard a new very pronounced buzz - that sounded like it came from engine. After some hunting I discovered it was the mesh hoop insert that vibrated very breifly. Decided to leave it as it adds some character! Hopefully you are experiencing something similar - more pronounced sounds resulting from tighter mounts.
Yes, it seems as if the new mount, together with UDP that drives the accessories at lower speed, promoted or exposed this noise.

My mesh inserts are secured with multiple zip ties (so I won’t lose them knowing how ridiculously expensive these plastics are), so probably my noise won’t be it, but will double-check. I’m pretty sure it comes behind the firewall, thought.

Keep ideas coming! With running out of ideas myself, I’m planning to drive the car with the serpentine belt off to see if I can positively rule out all accessories and pulleys.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote