View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #24
shinsaku

fixing clam shell with trunk lid

This is my first post here, 986forum.com. I have just attended to this forum to share my idea to fix the clam shell of convertible top compartment without modifying appearance and complicated operations.

Similar to many boxster owners, I had experienced a trouble on convertible top with my boxster (MY2008 987). I loosened a big bolt which fixes v-shaped arm to the transmission and the top can be operated manually. Then I need to fix unshut clam shell to the body because the convertible top of 987 is a bit voluminous with insulators and glass rear window.

Finally I came up with an idea to fix the clam shell by the rear trunk lid. Thanks to the smart hinge mechanism of it, the front edge of the lid goes back when it opens, and there is some space to pass the hook attached under the clamshell through.

Please take a look at the pictures. We can use the screw of the striker to fix the hook, and we do not have to modify the bodywork at all. It is completely reversible. It does not affect to the usability of rear trunk lid.

I have also uploaded a movie clip of the operation of the top.
https://youtu.be/5dsoV3tNz_M

I think this idea works for 986 similarly.

Finally I would like to note some tips to make and adjust the hook.

1. The top of the hook should be aligned the bottom edge of the clam shell. If the height of the hook is too high, it might damage the hinge or panel of the rear trunk lid. It is just for suppression of rattling, so looser is better.

2. The striker under the clam shell is not perpendicular to the surface of clam shell. The striker is placed vertically, and the clam shell is curved. So you need to distort the hook a bit to align the top edge to the surface of clam shell.

3. You can adjust the height of the catch of the striker to compensate the thickness of the hook.

I hope this post will help someone.

shinsaku is offline   Reply With Quote