View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #27
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
Rove's probably working on it right now.
Is there any other response from the left side of the aisle out there?

There have been no new refineries approved in over 20 years. I know it's convenient to leave out other past administrations to try and create a conspiracy, but the environmental nut cases are the ones who have made it impossible to get a refinery approved and I don't believe they support the current administration. Elementary economics shows any company that makes X cents per unit would want to have more units to sell. If their cost is less and they can sell it for less and make the same profit per unit but sell more units, they will (see WalMart for reference).

The gas prices are below where they should be when accounting for inflation over the last 20 years. They were much lower, until we stopped domestic exploration and China and India started exploding in growth. We have a find in the midwest U.S. that would make us 100% energy independent for the next 100+ years, but that last President's mad dash to try and screw up things for the next guy signed a billion last minute executive orders including one making the find completely off limits. Now there's some brilliance.

10 years ago we had legislation to start extracting from Anwar defeated, but of course the "problems" voiced by the opposition were "It will take 10 years to actually get oil out of the ground so how will that help?" and "It will harm the wildlife in the area." The latter has been proven false by the explosion in wildlife around the Alaskan pipeline (same arguement used against that) and it seems to me that it is now 10 years later and the same people are griping about the price of gas.

We also have great finds off our shores in the Gulf of Mexico that are not allowed to be extracted. Oh yeah, that is exept for by Cuba. They can extract all the oil they want off of OUR coast because they are intelligent enough to know if you need it you go get it.

Btw, your higher than average price "close to the refinery" includes the raping of the citizens of NY through the state and local tax system. One of the reasons they're all moving down here and my price is $2.22/gal with no refineries I know of in the state.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 09-19-2006 at 08:36 PM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote