View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
truegearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
The eBay headers are a great start. I had your "second thought" setup for a while. With no cats, you will definitely get a cel unless you also get the ecu tuned. This setup is really loud, over 98 dB at WOT. The SCCA hit me with a sound meter and threatened to ban me from AXevents if I didn't quiet it down. I welded in 100 cell cats and it did the trick. The Borla muffler is not the sturdiest piece. More than once I had to reweld the bracket that mounts to the trans. Oh, lots of drone in the 2500-3000 range. But it sounds like a cup car and everybody loves it, except for SCCA officials.
J.Fro is right no cats is too loud for the street. Here’s some other thoughts

1. If you change the headers you will more than likely break a bolt off in the head and that is a nightmare. I broke three off and towed it to a machine shop

2. The exhaust is absurdly heavy and blocks access to working in the car. So it’s great swap in those regards but it won’t really make any audible difference. (At least with the few I’ve heard)

3. Hi-flo cats will give you the biggest performance gain and will also make the car louder

4. With a louder exhaust you will no longer be able to hear that great intake noise that boxsters have.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote