View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Doug427

Valuation question

I'm facing a pretty good dilemma, and could use some help.

Car#1 is a 2002 Boxster S, 6 speed, with 106,000 miles on it. It has a clear regular title. It's in average daily driver condition. A couple of regular road use chips in the paint here and there, but overall I would say average daily driver. the engine has a cracked cylinder head and now has intermix. It has a decent set of options - partial leather, power heated seats, on board computer. It's black with Savannah Beige interior.

Car #2 is a 2001 Boxster S, 6 speed, with 61,000 miles on it. It has a salvage title. The title is for flood damage, but it really didn't flood, it just got enough rain water in it to toast the immobilizer system, which can and will be easily repaired. The body is in beautiful condition. It has less options than car #1- partial leather, heated but not power seats, no on board computer. It's dark blue with grey interior.

Scenario 1 - What would be the value of car#1 with the engine from car #2 in it?

Scenario 2 - What would be the value of car #2 with the on board computer system from car #1 in it?

Scenario 3 - What would be the value of car#1 as is, perhaps for a spec racer or someone who happens to have a good engine laying around? I could just sell car number one as is and use car number 2 as is.

The possibilities are somewhat mind boggling, and I could use a bit of help. I'm not looking to flip cars and make money, just trying to avoid doing something that I will regret later as financially (or otherwise) stupid. Car #2 is definitely the nicer car, but that damned salvage title - not sure of the impact of that. The "damage" that caused it was really very, very minor.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote