View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Tiptronic fluid change

Weather is cooling, and in a few weeks I'm embarking on my PM list of which changing the AT fluid is in order. That said...

The forum has been very helpful. I did additional reading and have a question. first...

I'll first check the fill plug to be certain it will come off when I go to fill. if affirmative, I'll drain the transmission fluid. From what I've read, I'll get ~3.5 liters. Now, I'm understanding that the entire transmission holds 9 liters (including the torque converter).

What I've read is that you can run the engine at idle, and in park, for not more than 3 minutes to pump the fluid from the TQ to the pan.

1. Is this correct?

I would measure all the fluid that came out, then knowing how much to return to the transmission (and following refill instructions).

In the alternative... what do you do? Keep filling and refilling until the fluid has been fairly well flushed out? If that's the case I'd use a compatible, but less costly fluid, to do the flush(s).

My primary objective is to get out as much as possible the old fluid, and not just ~3.5 liters.

I need to know if I'm buying 5 or 10 liters of fluid (assuming the 5 liter containers).

Any tips, pointers, or advice is appreciated. Thank you.