View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I went through an extreme diet on mine and lost 250lbs. I left my factory door panels. It's a lot of work to replace the door panels with something that will look good and light weight. The door panels aren't that heavy to begin with. I was hoping to come across some black leather 97 speakerless/ no airbag door panels for a sleeker look. Those are nearly impossible to find. I did come across some black leather speakerless 996 door panels though. Instead of a speaker it has a small cubby. There was a build thread where someone built some good looking RS door panels for their boxster. I believe it was a V8 build thread. I can't remember the guy's forum name. Vlad is his real name. Changing to racing seats was probably the biggest single loss. I stripped all the interior of insulation, removed all the airbags, went manual on the top and removed all the trunk carpets and plastic.
I appreciate your expert insight! I guess door cards are not that productive weight saver...

My car is DD so weight saving still need to be street-practical. Just started with low-hanging fruit shaving about 50 lbs with Deca 21lb battery, no radio/ amp/ speakers, home-brew GT3 center console, 987 aluminum engine cover with no top carpet. My goal is 100 lbs reduction with a spare tire out, so about 20 lbs more to go.

And I’m 5’6” and skinny, 124 lbs after 3-month Keto diet losing 14 lbs.

When you went with manual soft top, did you take the whole transmission out and if so, what did you do with the linkage to the clamshell to keep it tight in place? Does it still move along with the top in sequence?

Seats should have big impact but could be expensive unless I can find cheap core to work on. I want to keep Boxster red color scheme, maybe with houndstooth accent.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote