View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hmmm; seems to me to be some confusion in that thread. i'm certain the 987.1 got aisin transmissions??? and that they changed when they went to the 987.2 which is what got the glowing report from bgb? regardless, i am pretty certain that you would also have to change shifter cables, slave cylinder and clutch line to the cylinder, and not sure on clutch plate (confirm input shaft diameter and spline count). check w Brad, but i think they were custom making axles for the application. and i think gets 25 lbs off the car.
If this is true, the 987.2 from 09 on won't bolt up to the engine, only the first gen. Just like a lot of things - there's always a ton of conflicting info. One of the posts in the thread indicates the 987.1 was a Getrag and confirmed it with the transmission out of the car.

Response from Matt Monson of Guard Transmission on the differences between 987.1 & 987.2 transmissions:

"The biggest difference is the bell housing bolt pattern. When you get to '09+ 6spd they won't bolt to an earlier engine crankcase. Internally there is a slight difference in ring and pinion and original 5th and 6th gear ratios. Mechanically they are identical."

I do need to talk to Brad - but he made it sound like the 987 would bolt right in and the LSD would swap. Although the subject of axles didn't come up. He did mention something about being able to use a re-geared Audi TDI trans - but you need to fab custom mounts and do a few more tweaks to make it work. Matt makes it sound like the 987 is similar to the Audi TDI unit in design. Brad seemed to indicate otherwise. Ugh.

Last edited by rastta; 11-05-2018 at 02:04 PM.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote