View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #3
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
you may wish to check out ebay.co.uk, as boxsters there came in lower spec than in 'merica. you'll finds lots of inexpensive door panels (called door cards there) many without speaker cut-outs, and many without side airbags, for that lightweight build.

ps, been looking into this and partway down the road on my build - going to delete the cubby covers as well (easy) and replace door openers with straps (hard; requires relocating the microswitch that drops the window). end product will be as light as anything you could make from scratch.
Thanks for feedback. I’ve been watching eBay but they are listed rather high... one with door lever etc. stripped out is still listed over $100... crazy to me and out of my weight-reduction budget, ideally around 10lb reduction per $100.

It would be cool to convert to pull straps to add that classic RS vibe, I did not think about the micro switch... it sounds like conversion won’t yield much weight saving to make it functional not just cosmetic.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote