View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
petropolis

To adapt to the wiring harness for for old CDR unit, I used the adapter Crutchfield sent me. The Porsche stereo connector has four "blocks". A green block, a blue block (you won't use either of these) and two sets of "blade pin" connectors. One of these blade pin connectors is all the speaker wires and you'll just solder the adapter speaker wires onto the speaker wire outputs of your stereo. The other leads coming off this adapter are a red lead that is a permanently hot wire coming from the car (it isn't switched) and this connects to the permanently hot wire coming from the stereo. The black adapter lead is the ground and goes to the ground on your stereo. The leads coming from the car are brown (ground) and red/black (permanently hot).

The blue/green connectors are for steering wheels controls and such and you won't be able to use them. However, you MUST connect one wire from your stereo to the red/white wire on the blue connector to power the amp under the passenger seat. If you don't do this, you won't get any sound which is what happened when I first did this. On my Pioneer stereo, the blue/white wire provides power to the red/white wire on the blue connector and keeps the amp powered.

The only wire missing is the switched wire. This is the important one. There isn't a factory phone connector wire on the 987.2 and you needn't run to the fuse box to get this switched power. If you look at the base of the console there is a connector flowing into the heating/cooling controls and you'll see a harness that looks like this:

That big orange wire is switched. Just tap into it. The grey/red wire next to the orange wire is the illumination wire and you can run this to your stereo too so tap it. (If you don't run this, your stereo won't dim at night).

The microphone I just mounted on the steering stalk next to the windshield wiper lever:

After connecting all the wires and connectors, I wrapped some electrical tape around the whole bundle to protect the wires and I zip tied it. I originally was going to run an HDMI cable and RGB cables but there is so little room behind the stereo that I took them out. It is a tight fit. The bezel I got from Crutchfield came with a 1 DIN cubby that I didn't need and I had to shave off a couple of tabs but then I inserted the radio and everything worked:

Name:  backup.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  223.2 KB
Name:  carplay.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  235.4 KB

Last edited by petropolis; 11-09-2018 at 07:56 AM.
petropolis is offline   Reply With Quote