View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #13
harrg67

Garage
Thanks for all the advice! I am going to try to find a cheap one for the parts for now. Let's see how lucky I am..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
I do not have new LCDs for the late clusters, and I don't think they are available separately like the early ones are. If you are not in a hurry, you can usually find a used Boxster cluster that is otherwise damaged or ugly for $75 or so and use it for parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
There is a pretty good guide on how to disassemble the cluster on rennlist with a thread title changing the gauge color face or something like that.

I have recently changed all LEDs on both a gen 2 986 and 996 cluster.

Changing the LCD is no problem, just don’t touch the LCD contact points (not really cables) that will usually come separated from the LCD. Also make sure you get the LCD snap covers completely seated or the LCD will have ghosting.

When you take off the needles, put painters tape under the pointer ends and accurately mark the positions to get them properly placed. I also took a piece of paper that I had cut a slot in to slide under the needle to keep from scratching the gauge face.

That said in doing the clusters three stepper motor shaft/gear assemblies came separated and I had to replace them. I tried to take one apart to fix it and they are not meant to be taken apart. Like Qmulus I also have additional stepper motors. Replacing them is a ******************** with unsoldering the old from the board and soldering the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No glue. Screws and snaps.

The needles are not keyed. Getting them back on correctly will be a nightmare.
harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote