View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #25
marsheng

All brake manufactures are making brakes of an acceptable standard. They all work and each company has their reputation to uphold.

Back to basics. There are hard and soft pads, there are "clean" and "dusty" ones.

Hard brakes wear the rotors and soft wear them less.
Dust and clean, I guess depends on what they are made from.

So rather that argue about OEM etc, from drivers experience, what are good soft pads that are low dust. That is what I would prefer when I need to change mine. Maybe the original poster can specify what choices he wants. OEMs provide a generalized product, users can be more specific and then get a better product that suites their choice.

Now there are a few considerations to make this general. If you do a lot of track work, you really want to choose the best for the application and then asking others at the track is your best bet.

The other one is, do you have a 10 mile long steep down hill you have to navigate on a regular basis and have an automatic. If yes then you would need to some research on which will do the job best. Not all will take the extra heat. Probably talk to the race guys.

As for drilled rotors, they are drilled in case you smoke the breaks. If you overheat them and they make smoke, there now is a boundary layer between the pad and disk which reduces braking. The holes vent the smoke and give you some braking back.

Always try and use drilled or slotted.
marsheng is offline   Reply With Quote