View Single Post
Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No glue. Screws and snaps.

The needles are not keyed. Getting them back on correctly will be a nightmare.
In my experience, getting the needles off without popping the gears out of place inside the gauge motor is more difficult than getting the needles on correctly. If you are careful and mark where they are on the stops and put them back to that exact spot, you usually can get the needles dead on.

For what it is worth, I have new gauge motors for the newer clusters and I stock the three LCD panels with the cables for the old style clusters.

One thing you might notice on the PCB for the gauges is that there are the provisions for extra circuitry which I think was used on the Carrera GT cluster, which is pretty much the same. The Carrera GT interestingly had TPMS, which I think would be really nice to add. I have figured out how to enable the boost display on a late 986/996 cluster with the "dot matrix" display. I am thinking of trying to trick my PST2 to think a 996 cluster is a Carrera GT cluster, and get it to code it to a CGT configuration to see if any interesting gets added. Yeah, when I have time...

Sorry, off topic.