View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Otherwise, i think i would just take it. There is a fantastic guy at pep boys in jax, is,an autocrosser, but is 1+ hours away... Might be worth it
How much is your time worth? Two hours of driving, compared to four plus hours of trying to get the car positioned to where you may get an accurate alignment?

I used to do my Spec Miata alignments, and it took forever the first couple of times to get a level spot to do the alignment, using floor tiles. I clearly marked on the floor where to place the car, but it was never repeatable.

For track days, I'd just take it to a pro and do it at the start of the season, unless you have an off-track misadventure.

In general, I'd avoid places like Firestone or PepBoys, unless you've heard from other gearheads that that particular alignment tech knows what he is doing.

Here in Seattle, I did some research and found that most hard-core enthusiasts recommend a place called TruLine. When I got there, every car in parking lot was an enthusiast's car, including a lot of Porsches. I had some specs in mind since I would be doing the occasional track days, and the tech agreed that those would be good for what I had in mind for the car. He asked he how much I weighed, and they placed sand bags in the driver's seat and floor board to simulate my weight. It's things like that that separate a $200 alignment from a $75 alignment.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 10-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote