View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Just a note that the plastic end cups are designed to break if the roof system binds, thereby saving more expensive roof components (usually at the expense of the foam drain tray). For this reason you might want to reconsider using reinforced caps.

Be sure to check the drain trays to make sure they have not been compromised and I’d order two identical rods ensure symmetry.
Thanks fellow Oldcarguy, it seems I didn't do my homework on this one. Only after reading your comment did I see a customer review on the site where I bought the metal replacement cup explaining the reason for using plastic. I have ordered a set of plastic cups. My repair philosophy is to do as much as I can myself and reuse the maximum of old parts, so I was able to reform the bent pushrod. That's me not a reflection on others who prefer shiny new parts at all times. For example, against all advice, instead of buying a rebuilt unit I resealed the steering rack on my 928. No leaks yet so I am happy with that decision... so far.
I did repair the the right side drain tray, it had a hole in it that I assume happened when the end cup broke. The reason I started investigating the roof was that I was getting water on the floor behind the passenger seat.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote