View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #11
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
BY, how difficult would be to measure distance between the top of the piston and the plug? Could this help to ensure that you don't have a slightly bent rod?
Thanks Gilles. A piston-stop is easy enough to build and use to check piston height, but a simple compression test will tell most of that story.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses here. I wasn't looking to start down a road of paranoia-induced "what-if" scenarios, haha. I just didn't want to start breathing a sigh of relief that I'd dodged a bullet, simply because the motor turns without making weird noises, without first checking to see if there are other COMMON breakage-points that I should be looking at.

It sounds to me like the typical AOS failure "catastrophe" happens at relatively high RPM's, where the energy in the rotating / reciprocating assembly is enough to break lots of things when that piston comes to a sudden hydraulically-locked stop. I think I avoided this. I think what I'm seeing is that after I shut off the motor, the oil continued to run (because of gravity) into the cylinder whose intake valve was open. Then when I hit the starter again, there was enough oil in that cylinder that it made a short attempt to compress, then locked. But the starter shouldn't provide enough energy (force) to break anything internally (other than, perhaps, the starter, haha).

SO:
Yes, I'm going to peek inside the cylinders with a borescope.... because I bought one and want to use it, haha. I'm considering a deeper sump & baffle, so if I do that, I'll also poke around with the borescope on that side. And Yes, I'll probably do a compression check, because all the plugs are out and the motor just clicked 150k miles: I'd like to see what we're dealing with. But then I'm going to clean it all up, button it back up, get it good-n-hot to burn out as much of the oil as I can, and hope I'm not looking at replacing o2 sensors, or other.

As for the AOS: I'm not entirely convinced that it's bad. I'm running on the working theory that this is all related to the spin, and I simply overwhelmed the AOS. I'm going to purchase a manometer, so I can check it once it's back together. In the meantime: I'm going to go trace-out the pathway of the AOS vent & drain, and look for a place to intercept and add a catch-can of sorts, that can give me a warning if it starts getting accumulation, but won't immediately dump it into the motor. Again: what a STUPID design this AOS is. Tell me again how brilliant the Porsche engineers are?

Thanks again everyone.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote