View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkinator View Post
I've been taking my 02 Boxster S to the track and to Autocross, and it's got a few spots I'd like some advice in improving.

The car is on PSS9s with 225 RE71R up front and 255 RE71R in the rear. Current alignment is maxed camber front and rear, about -1.2 front and -2.2 rear, mild toe out front, mild toe in rear.

I've noticed the car is very harsh on the outsides of the tires, especially the front. That's getting better as I reduce over-driving, but a couple really hot laps will have a very noticeable effect on the tread shoulders.
  1. Are GT3 LCAs really necessary for more camber or will camber plates get most of the way there?
  2. Which wheel size and offset do I need to get a 255 or 245 on the front?
  3. Are poly bushings recommended? My car keeps coming out of alignment, even without any wheel-cracking potholes
Are LCAs necessary? No
Will you get a much better setup on LCAs vs camber plates? Yes

Ask any pro setup shop that regularly puts cars on the podium and they will say "get the LCAs. Period.". Camber plates are a low cost alternative with partial results. Better than nothing but a significant compromise in setup.

255 square works fine on a 986 running OEM 8.5" wheels all around. AX veteran Carl V. Ran his 285 square with rolled fenders and careful attention to wheel offset. I think that was too much tire but... Carl is very quick.

I am not a fan of poly bushings on these cars. Stock fresh rubber works fine. If you are regularly losing alignment something is loose. Look around before it falls off. My front suspension loosened from my sub frame once and tire wear got ugly quick.