View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
On a side note, I am reluctant to get an automatic (Tip)
Are they less fun to drive? But it may be better in this LA traffic!
The 03 is a beauty, but it is a Tip.....
I understand. All considered, if I am out driving for the joy of driving, I want a stick shift. For a few years, I have had at least two stick shift and two Tiptronic 986s to chose from when I figure out which car to drive for the day. The Tiptronics sit a lot more, but for heavy traffic, or a long drive, the Tip is best.

One day, a couple years ago, I decided to really push my '99 Tip to 'see what it could do'. It was the first time that I had driven that particular car hard for a long drive completely in manual mode. I took it on a great twisty road with no traffic (or police). Up through the gears to red-line, and dropping it down hard for quick decels. It was awesome and a completely different car (from what I think is an economy biased automatic program in the '99s and earlier Tiptronics).

Before you write-off the '03, take it out for a complete test drive. Don't be timid. It's capable of handling more than you will push it.