View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #16
jdraupp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
c'mon you guys.... there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Federal Tires. BEST? Not by a long shot. But to suggest that somehow you need Michelins or Pirellis or something for normal driving is just bosh. (jdraupp, I'm talking to you)

I'm usually a Michelin guy, myself, because Michelin gave me a seeming never-ending supply of tires when I was racing superbikes. So, loyalty and all that. But right now I'm running a set of Federal 595-RS-RR on my spare wheels for track use, and they are perfectly serviceable.

Look, PDwight: buy the tires you can afford, or rationalize. Make sure you've always got adequate tread to shed water... but I don't care if that tread is American, French, Italian or Chinese: It'll be just fine.

When you start feeling like the tire you've got isn't up to the driving you;re doing, then maybe it's time to start looking at an upgrade. But until then, don't sweat it.

(For the record: if this were a sportbike forum, my advice would be very different. For what should be very obvious reasons)
Where in my post did I state that? I challenge you to find it.

If you examine a little closer, you'll see that I myself run sumitumo tires on my boxster and I'd hardly call them high quality or expensive. However, I did quite a bit of research both through road test reviews, published statistics and personal testimony. I also bought them from tire rack that did plenty of their own research.

I recommended a pair of rear pilots because that's what he said he had on the fronts and they were in good shape. Mismatching tires is not a good way to go.

If the federals have good reviews then go for them. At the end of the day it's your car and your butt in the seat. But don't put words in my mouth.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote