View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #1110
jaykay

Please let us know how this works out. I am trying to work out what would be the right balance myself. Right now I am running a short shifter and feel that more resolution would be better with a six speed.. ie put a regular 997 in there but if raise the knob towards the steering wheel will I be then regretting it.

It will very interesting to see how the resolution of the short shifter works in racing conditions......although you have 5 speed rather than a finicky 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Thanks for the link - those are some very nice shifters!

I am still working on mine. I added a set screw and need to add a boss for the set screw to mount in (for this prototype, I just hand-drilled a hole and used two part epoxy on the screw mount to keep it from pulling out). I got the set screw and mount from McMaster-Carr (where else? ) I'm also finalizing the dimensions for the slot so it fits the shift handle firmly.

I have driven it twice on-track while practicing in prep for the next race. I like how it feels and the (high) position is almost perfect. The only drawback is that the shift stoke length is longer than I'd like due to the increased length (even with the 997 shifter).

In a effort to get the right balance of high position and stoke length, I ordered one of Ben's short shifters. I plan to install it this weekend.

I made a shift handle in white and it almost instantly got dirty and looked grey so I think that the final version will probably be in black. Or maybe red to match the harnesses.