View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 04:03 AM   #9
MWS

I had a similar situation when I purchased an out of state car (from GA) a few years back. The dealer is part of a large group in Atlanta, and I *thought* that getting the title mailed was only a formality. 30 days went by and nothing, so I started calling. 60 days, still nothing except more angy calls on my part, which kept being shuffled around to different individuals who *supposedly* were the sole individual responsible for titles. The answer I kept getting was that "it's been submitted to the GA BMV, and as soon as they get it back to us, well let you know". This just sounded fishy to me, so I started calling the GA motor vehicles department, only to find that they couldn't provide me with any information because I wasn't the dealer. Finally, in a round about way, I got them to admit that they did indeed have the title and that it was being processed. Eventually, I received the title, and much to my suprise, the accompanying paperwork showed that the dealer did submit the tile to the state (GA) in a timely matter, and that the dealer did send it to me within 3 days of getting it back from the state. Additionally, there was nothing odd on the title, or any red flags that would show why the state kept the title for so long (or even why the state had it, but I guess that how it works in GA), also when I registered it where I live, there were no issues with the title.

Bottom line, I was just about ready to get a lawyer involved or even fly back to Georgia just to yell in person; instead I was patient and everything worked out. Who knows if a patient approach will work for you, but I would start with working your way up the food chain at the dealer (not that it did me any good) and try to determine where the title is actually at...maybe the state has it as well.

In any event, I feel your pain. Before you start throwing money at attorneys, try to determine if there is actually some legal hold-up...if not, it might be just a waste of money.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote