View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #18
speedyspaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
96 ft-lbs. You may well break a bolt or wheel at 340 ft-lbs if you can generate that much torque!

As far as the wheel vibration at a certain speed, like 75 mph, I have found that my 2003 S that I've owned since new is very sensitive to tire pressure, how much gas is in the tank, road surface and brand of tire. I had a set of Toyo Proxis Sport something or other in the stock 17 inch sizes on OEM wheels that I used for about 8,000 miles. The tires were balanced and checked many times, along with the rest of the car and I finally ended up throwing them away and buying the Michelin N3 tires. I just had my 18 inch wheels all straightened and refinished and my car's steering wheel is the smoothest it's ever been. If everything else checks out it may be worth having the wheels checked by a place that straightens and repairs them - for both side to side and up and down wobbles that may not be visible to the naked eye but shown by a dial indicator.
Isn't 96 for the lug nuts - not for the axle bolt?

And that's a good idea for the wheel repair - I've had a few places balance the wheels but it's possible that they were unable to detect a minor wobble. The problem started on old tires - crappy Nankangs that were on the car when I bought it - and continued on brand new Conti ExtremeContact DWs that I think many members here run, so I don't think the tires are the issue.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote