View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
RidgeRacer

The case against Double DIN CarPlay in the 986

I have two Porsches, a 2018 Cayman GTS and a 2000 Boxster S. They play very different roles for me. The Cayman is faster, more responsive, has better electronics, and is much more comfortable.

Yet, I find myself driving the Boxster more. And a big part of that is the relative absence of digital gadgets. In a world where I never get to be disconnected, the Boxster greets me with 90s amber LCDs and very little to distract me from driving.

Which brings me to aftermarket stereos.

I had tried to use the LANNI Bluetooth kit with the OEM CDR-220 stereo, but it was terrible. The alternator whine was atrocious, and I simply could not eliminate it. I knew I’d have to install an aftermarket stereo to get Bluetooth.

I saw the double DIN conversion kits on Suncoast. I’m sure they are excellent, but it seems to me that having a growing giant LCD screen in the middle of your Boxster is the opposite of the point of the car.

I went with the only single DIN CarPlay stereo on the market, the Pioneer AVH-3400NEX. It has a display that WILL eject out if you need it, but most of the time it stays invisible. It connects Bluetooth automatically, but when you need navigation, it’s there.

You can set the display lights to any color you wish, so I made them the same shade of amber as the rest of the 986. I also drilled a tiny hole for the Siri microphone in the lower cubby.

I leave the screen retracted as much as I can while driving it. I love that I can stream music from my iPhone, but most of the time there’s nothing to distract from me and the driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RidgeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote