View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
3D Printed Stereo Center Console Control Center

My teenage son bought me a 3D printer for my birthday. He's such a good kid, spending his hard earned money from a part time job to get me something.

One of my first projects has been this remote cradle/center console stereo control center. I already have steering wheel controls and used some OEM buttons (defrost) as volume up/down and next/previous track for my current center console controls, but thought it would be nice to have the full function of the remote (I'll be removing the current defrost buttons I'm using as stereo controls).

Why? Because our Mazda daily driver has center console and steering wheel controls and I just find it much easier and more convenient than looking at and reaching for the stereo. The steering wheel controls are nice when shifting through gears.

The IR transmission LED is mounted in a discreet location and the remote is on an external regulated 3.3V power supply, so no need to ever change the battery or remove the remote from the cradle.
The color of the cradle is darker than the console, and I may paint it at a later date, but it's fine for now. I also added matching LED backlights to the remote.

It was printed using ABS with a 1.2mm shell and 20% fill.
It was a fun project for my son and I to do together and useful, too.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote