View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #44
MWS

This discussion raises the "performance vs robustness" argument. As I always mention, to each their own, but I gravitate toward longevity as I personally abhor failure that could be avoided, but then again, performance isn't my primary goal. As such, my decisions are left primarily to engineering (or my common sense version of form, function and durability) and in this limited case, I personally vote for the heavier flywheel (more robust) versus a lighter option that has *maybe* a few failures attributed...as even one failure would lead me to believe that this isn't the best design option. Again, I'm not the type of person to require volumes of information to prove (even if I want to believe otherwise) a failure *could* be extrapolated across an entire sample. I don't need to hit myself in the head with a hammer multiple times just to prove that indeed the first one truely hurt.

Regarding your choice (and again, to each their own), perhaps weigh the tangible performance improvements versus possibly having to do this all again....and forgive me for saying so, but it seems like you are in the "want to believe" camp (which for me always leads to poor decisions and/or injury); try to remove any preconceptions and just perform a mental pro/con analysis.

Whatever you decide, I always salute your wrenching, tinkering and thinking outside the box. You are also prone to call "BS" on a Porsche hardliner (which always makes me secretly smile); apply that same challenging thought process to yourself and I'm sure you will find your answer.

Let us know, and as always, I look forward to being completely and totally wrong. Lol.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote