Thread: IMS Fix
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #65
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
See, this is the type of thinking that appeals to me. I always try to think of repairs or replacement of wear items as an opportunity to upgrade.
HOWEVER....
I got 148k miles on the factory unit.... so I'm somewhat loathe to "fix what ain't broke".... y'know?

I'm just not convinced yet that the $600 additional cost (the delta between the Pelican kit and the LN unit) is money well-spent.

Is there any merit to the thinking that the new unit is good for at least 20k miles? that's probably 4 years for me in this car. If I said I'm gonna replace it every 4 years.... I can get 16 years out of it before it equals the same cost as the LN unit.

::sigh:: I'm just trying hard to keep the scope-creep from spiraling out of control here. This car is fun because this car is CHEAP. if it ceases to be cheap, then it ceases to be fun.

here's the funny thing about my thinking: if you told me that I'd get 10hp out of the LN unit, or that it SOUNDS AWESOME.... I'd plunk down that additional $600 in a heaartbeat, hahahaha!
Here's the conundrum of using an OEM retrofit: The factory bearing has somewhere around a 10% failure rate; that could happen in the first 5K miles, or the last 5K miles of the next 100K miles. The OEM bearings failure time line is a scatter diagram, meaning some fail after only a short while, others much further down the road. What you do is totally dependent upon your personal risk tolerance, and willingness to do this all over again it 20K miles, or risk catastrophic engine damage, or spend the next couple years jumping at every odd sound the car makes. Unfortunately, peace of mind comes at a price.