View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #2
Shawn Stanford

There's nothing especially desirable about a low-mile 986. These cars like to be driven and I believe that - up to a point - more miles are better than fewer, especially if there's regular maintenance.

That being said: I don't think that's an unreasonable price; but it's nothing special either.

With a car at that mileage you're just assuming a different set of risks. Namely the IMS, which seems to generally fail at 40k-80k.

Unless the Boxsters are hard to find in your area, or this one has some special appeal, I'd continue to comparison shop. I paid a bit more than I should have for a 100k Boxster that needs a suspension refresh because I wanted a Tiptronic car in an interesting color (Speed Yellow). But, these cars are not difficult to wrench, the parts are plentiful and reasonably priced, and there is a ton of DIY on the internet, so buying a car with a problem or two shouldn't be a show-stopper if the price is right.

The biggest problem you're going to run into down there is sun damage. It's definitely a consideration if this one was garage kept.

Good luck with your search.
"...the 928 is not a joy riding car; it's a tool, a road weapon designed to destroy distance and crush time."

Last edited by Shawn Stanford; 08-03-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote