View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #27
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAZ View Post
I asked the shop to add in the AOS to the work order and they’re claiming that it will add two hours of labor. There’s no way, right?
Regarding the "2 hour" time and quote...if your at a Porsche shop, I'm guessing you've been speaking to the "service advisor"; they only quote from lists that show how much time (and how much to bill) for an item, regardless of what is being done and what access might be granted that could shorten this amount of time...this is why it's called a "quote". If the list shows 2 hours, that's what they will tell you, if it takes the mechanic 15 minutes, that's what they *should* bill you. I say "should", because that's the difference between an honest shop and one that, well, is just seeing a way to make some extra money. For reference (and yes, I get a lot of grief for this), I have always had my service done at my dealership and I'm always given a bill that is much smaller than the quote...granted I also have 2 Audis that they also service, but I believe that they have always been fair to me and have never been over billed. Regarding the argument of dealership vs independent shop...it's dependent on what's available in your area; where I live, there are few places that I really feel comfortable having service done, and the couple of times I've had quotes from other places, the dealership was still the lowest...and the actual bill was far lower than the quote.

In your situation, I'm not sure how to advise you. You could speak with the "service manager", but I'm sure he would follow the same line as the "service advisor". Perhaps go ahead and have the AOS done, and if they bill you for the 2 hours, well, you know that they are billing the maximum...if the bill is less, then perhaps you have found a shop you can trust. IMHO, finding a shop you trust is just about the most valuable relationship you can make....and for what it's worth, the dealership I've been using for service I've been going to for 25 years, but I've never bought a car from them as the sales side I've found to be overpriced and unflexabe. The shop knows all my cars are from other dealers, but still treats me like family...sometime they joke about if I would like to change my plate holder (which shows another dealer), and I'll tell them that if you have a plate frame that reads "serviced by", and we have a good laugh.

Anyway, sorry for the long response.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote