View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
MikeMcMo

Garage
Dead battery with no warning

This just happened and I won't have time to look into it for 2 days, but am dying to figure out what's going on. Went to meet people for dinner in the city, half an hour away in 85º temperatures, car drove great as always. Got back to town, stopped at a friend's for a minute, and when I went back out to the car, it wouldn't turn over. Click, click, click. Tried 3 times until it wouldn't even click. It's a '99 Boxster base with 57K.

I was able to bump start it and it seemed fine. Killed the engine a few times while rolling, and it would click, unless I did it a few times, then it would be silent, but I was able to start it each time. I parked the car for the day and then bumped into a neighbor who is a car guy, works at a shop, used to work for Interstate Batteries, delivering and installing batteries. He said batteries sometimes die in the heat, same as in the cold. I've never had a car battery die in the middle of a day of driving around- only after leaving a dome light on or in extreme cold. That would be fine, an easy fix, but I assumed if the car died while I'm in the middle of errands that the alternator or something in the charging system isn't working.

Any ideas? TIA!
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote