View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
since95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtormike View Post
Lew,
yes, I want to change these out. Any new design, material that has been updated since 2000? I want the newest material for it.

For those of you that have done this job with the motor in the car, how long did it take you to do both sides? is it as easy as taking the valve covers off ?

sincerely,
Mike
I just did mine on Saturday. Engine out during a full rebuild due to a seized rod bearing. Make sure when you remove the valve covers to use the holding tool on the back side of the camshafts. The cover has the bearing journals for the camshafts integrated, so when you remove the cover the camshafts will get pushed up by the valve springs while the tensioner end is fixed. I was told you can damage the valves or camshaft if you don't hold them during disassembly. If I wasn't told this I would have whipped them off figuring they were just covers.

Out of the car the job wasn't terrible, but getting the engine out took me around 8 hours with a 2 post lift. I did the IMS bearing in the winter, and I can't even imagine how tedious it will be to remove the camshafts, fit the tensioner pads, then reinstall with the engine in the car. I know it can be done, but you will need a ton of patience.
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote