View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I replaced mine with the engine in the car. I did remove the front motor mount and dropped it some (semi drop?) which also allowed me to move the engine laterally to give a little more room for the job. I didn't remove the headers or airbox. But honestly if I have to do it again I will either remove the engine or pay a shop to do it.

It would have been so much easier with the engine on a stand instead of laying on my back fighting gravity replacing the cams with the actuator chained together to get them set properly and affixing the retaining tool.

Edit: It took me two days but I wasn't in a hurry. I probably spent more time staring at it than working on it. I was trying to be cautious and not do anything that I couldn't undo or fix. I did make all the tools ahead of time and ordered the reverse threaded rod in advance for compressing the actuator (not needed but again I had time before I started the project and like the idea of the screw vs. a zip tie).

Dave in TX
2001S

You would not do it again! Really, come on now that you have the experience changing the guides, next time it will only take you one day. LOL!
Just kidding ya!
Now we understand why it cost so much to have a certified Porsche mechanic do it. What was the condition of the old guides when you removed them, and how many miles were on them?