Thread: Ride Height
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
rastta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Yes, that does indeed look low

Another data-point, 12.25" Front and 12.7" Rear. Boxster spec suspension. A little more rake than Tom

What spring rates are you running?
I'm running 700lb front and 800lb rear. New Eibach's, 5" springs in the front with a helper and 6" springs in the rear with a helper. Car previously had 4" springs with the same helper all around in the same weights.

The car as shown in that picture was previously set at 30 cm front and 32 cm rear. Car is back together and it sits at 31cm front and 33cm rear now. Can't go any lower in the rear due to the shock design.

When I had the shocks rebuilt - they were concerned about the non-standard spring retainer that had been welded to the MODE shock mount. It was resulting in a slight misalignment of the shock.

Here's of picture of the shock with the modified mount and the 4" springs as well as a limiting strap. When the strap was unbolted, the shock would drop down about 1.25 inches and the spring would come apart from the retainer. The modified mount saved another 3/4" of shock height as well - since he spring sat farther up. So the strap allowed the springs to remain seated when unloaded. You will also note that the spring combiner perch sits right at the top of the shock body. Due to the misalignment - it had been rubbing on the shock body and cap. Luckily the damage was minimal.

We removed the welded on piece to the mode mount - and used the standard Moton top spring retainer. Here's a pic of the retainer.

Rear shocks with the Moton spring retainers.

I could have retained the limiting straps - and moved the spring perch down a bit to get the car as low as it originally was - but I didn't want to use them and I'm fine with the ride height being 1 cm higher.

As you can see - these Motons were designed to use the factory "bell" top mount. The new Motons use a much shorter shock now with their own flat top mount. Sure wish I had those - would have made life much easier.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote