Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
Jamesp
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
At least I offered an opinion!

Here is another post Jamesp made:

2003 S 144k miles daily driver, clutch slipping at higher loads. Looks like it's time for a new clutch and flywheel. Anyone have words of wisdom on which clutch and flywheel arrangement to choose? How about any "as long as you have it apart" advice?

A earlier quote I made:

Check out the German made LUK clutch and DM Flywheel. I found the LUK had a 9" disc where the Sach's only had a 8 1/2" disc. That assembly was for the Wife's 05 TDI Beetle. I know that Sach's clutches are in the Boxsters. I might also mention the clutch fingers are a little longer on the LUK's which makes the pedal somewhat softer. The Sach's are shorter which makes for a little stiffer pedal. I plan on using the LUK if I ever need to change. The DMF and Clutch is less than $350 from a company in NC.
Lew,

Thank you for your earlier reply. I received sparse replies on the first post I made, and yours was very thoughtful and helpful. I am very conservative in making repairs, so while I should have responded to your reply thanking you, the thought of using a different type of clutch (though it does seem technically superior) had me running away screaming like a little girl. I was not going to reply to this post again as I didn't want it bumped to the top yet again, but you deserve a shout out as you are doing the right thing providing the knowledge you have. Thanks again.