View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
Cunningr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandr95 View Post
I have the six-speaker system with the amp. I'd like to replace the HU with something that allows me to plug in an ipod and also make bluetooth hands-free calls with my iphone. I'm not an audiophile but wouldn't mind improving the sound a bit.

Should I ditch the factory amp altogether and just get a more powerful HU?

I don't have rear speakers now but will eventually, if that's a factor.

Any recommendations on head units? Should I upgrade the dash and/or door speakers? Any recos?

Sounds like I should wire a mic for phone calls to get best results. Yes?

I intend to do this myself and have only basic audio installation skills.

Appreciate your advice.
I have a thread on my upgrade. Did a single din pioneer prs80 about $300 from crutchfield paid $20 for them to prewire the connector. Was plug and play. I used factory amp for awhile but then changed it to a alpine PDX v9. Speakers i used 3 way hertz 165 pro components. Cai brackets except door, speakers i bought extra set of door boxes off ebay cut them up installed 6.5 inch mid sub. Dash was 3 inch mid and seperate tweeter. Subwoofer i found an old color matched 996 cabriolet passenger bose subwoofer. Removed the bose driver, then installed an 8” pioneer shallow mount used the piece i cut for 5he 8” driver to plug the hole where the bose driver was. Dynamat inside box and added some poly fill.

The pioneer hu has a network mode supports active cross over points or can operate in normal. Has great eq. For price excellent unit. That and speakers made big impact, but amp and sub pushed it over top. Everything can be removed and returned to factory also.

My system is pretty advanced, but used 2 channels from hu amp to run tweets, 4 channels off amp to run mid and mid sub channels with cross over bbetween drivers setup on amp. 5th channel drives the subwoofer. The cross over between high mid and sub is handled by hu in network mode.