View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #11
Oldcarguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
so.... "2nd gear popout".... would that describe what appears to an onlooker as a missed shift to 2nd-gear? In other words: it sure FEELS like it's engaged, and then it's not..... sunnuva..... (grrrr)

it's not like it engages, and I'm accelerating when it pops-out.... it just "clicks in", but doesn't engage..... making my wife snicker at me 'cuz it seems I can't find 2nd gear half the time now....

sunnuva.....
For me it was not like a missed shift or reluctance of the gearbox to shift into second. In the case I experienced when checking out Boxsters for purchase, I had shifted into second, it engaged no problem and I was lightly accelerating in second and the transmission popped into neutral. For the rest of the test drive I made sure to keep pressure on the lever while I was in second gear. Through the shifter it did feel like second gear had an initial position that “tricked” you into believing second was firmly engaged when in fact it wasn’t. I passed on that car. For the 986 I did purchase, I installed the detent as PM.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-12-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote