View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Assuming your oil got over heated enough to allow the damage to begin, were you able to monitor oil temp while on track? or even water temp?

Wonderful you were able to get it home so easily !

Fyi oil pumps never fail until something other than oil enters the pump.
It makes sense that something else must have failed to make the oil pump fail. I don't have any gauge to see oil temps. The engine water temp was a little higher than normal, above the usual 180 but way less than 200, while I was driving to the track but it was an extremely hot day. The check engine light never came on at all, and I never got to the point where the engine would not start and run, even though it sounded awful while running. I never made it to drive on the track, this happened sometime after I arrived and before I drove on the track at all.

I agree trailering is the way to go, but a tow vehicle and trailer aren't in the cards for me for many reasons. I would rather stop doing HPDEs than get into trailering. If my hero THStone can drive a Spec Boxster to and from his races, I can drive my street car to and from 2-3 HPDEs per year. That's my own preference, I realize there are downfalls to it!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote