View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomob122 View Post
...what would you all pay just from seeing everything as it is with this car? ...
It's a slow night at work. Mind if I ramble a bit?

I took a look at the listings in your local Craigslist market and all the prices look high to me.

Boxster prices can vary a lot by region and time of year. If a thorough PPI confirmed that all the issues are minor fixes that I could DIY I wouldn't go above $7,000 in my local area. Your situation, preferences, and needs are pretty different from mine.

Thoughts...
Fly to LAX, PHX, or DFW, pick up one with no needs and up to 80k miles on it for $6K to $12K. Drive it home to get familiar with it.

"NEVER takes it out when it is wet...." Probably adds about $1,500 to the value. I had a motorcycle like that once, then one day I got stuck out in a thunderstorm ...and that was over.

I saw an ad for a car once that said "never driven in snow" It had a picture of the car outside with about 8" of snow on it. Well, not "driven."

While I agree with what BYpro and MWS said about cosmetics and miles, each car presents a different situation. Do you value a bumper respray against an AOS and water pump? A 70k mile car that is about to need clutch, suspension, and tires vs a 100k mile car that just had everything done? Extremes are easy to evaluate, but most cars are more to the middle of the spectrum.

All my advice and speculation is a bit irrelevant. The most I have paid for (purchase of) a Boxster was $5,000 for my first one. I've bought 10 now counting 2 parts cars and I have never had a PPI done. Still I'll tell everyone to have a PPI done.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-06-2018 at 08:35 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote